Vision & Values
Rooted in community; strengthened by learning, we are leaders and partners for everyone’s right to health.
Health is not merely the absence of disease, but a state of complete physical, mental and social well being. Health is a resource for everyday life, helping people to reach their full potential.
Recognizing that everyone matters, we believe that everyone has the right to enjoy the highest attainable standard of health. As such, the following values shall inform and guide all aspects of the KCHC’s functioning:
- An awareness and understanding of the social, political, economic, and environmental factors that influence and affect an individual's health should inform the development and delivery of our services.
- All persons have the right to quality primary health care and related health and social services regardless of their personal choices and life circumstances, with dignity and respect and without judgment.
- The resourcefulness, commitment and strengths of our community members, service users, volunteers, employees and Board of Directors, enrich KCHC.
- Collaborative services provided in a holistic manner by interdisciplinary teams best meet the needs of individuals, families, neighbourhoods, and communities.
- KCHC offers community members and service providers an opportunity to act on democratic values, such as autonomy, justice, fairness, and equality for all, as ways to promote and improve health.
- The diversity of our community members, volunteers and employees in terms of race, creed, colour, national origin, political or religious affiliation, social or economic class, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, family status and disability, enriches the functions and activities of the Centres.
- As an innovative and evolving organization, KCHC strives for excellence and impact in all that we do.
- KCHC strives to be an employer of choice, recognizing staff as our strongest resource in achieving our Mission. In keeping with the core values of KCHC, the Centres, its Directors, Officers, Members and employees will:
- Identify and strive to eliminate barriers that prevent people from achieving highest attainable standard of health.
- Strive for excellence in all our services, including responsible administration (accountability, use of resources, etc)
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with community members, integrating with community groups and other service providers.
- Promote community involvement throughout KCHC; we will solicit and utilize community input when planning, developing, delivering, and evaluating our services.
- Invest in and develop staff.
- Support individuals' efforts to achieve their full potential and respect their right to make their own decisions and choices regarding their health and well-being.
- Promote the development of individual and community leadership by serving as a resource and a catalyst for change in our community.
- Advocate for social and political change that promotes health for all persons.