What is Clinical Telemedicine?
Clinical Telemedicine appointments are like a regular ‘face to face’ appointment with a specialist or health care provider using a two-way secure videoconference technology. This allows patients to access a specialist anywhere in Ontario. These specialists may not be available close to the patient’s home.
A consultation takes place at one of our partner sites, using the videoconference system. Each of the following partner sites is equipped with technology to facilitate the appointment and have access to tele-diagnostic instruments, such as tele-stethoscope and patient examination cameras. Our partner sites are:
- Kingston Community Health Centres
- Fairmount Home
- Hotel Dieu Hospital
- Kingston Family Health Team
- Maple Family Health Team
- Lennox and Addington County General Hospital
- Sharbot Lake Family Health Team
- Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte
Kingston Community Health Centres is the central site for coordinating the appointments for residents of Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington counties.
This service is free to residents of Ontario with a valid OHIP card.
The benefits of telemedicine may include:
- Decreased travel time and decreased cost of gas and parking.
- Receiving care closer to home can reduce the stress of travelling for the patient and their family.
- Reduces the need for alternative care arrangements.
- Reduces the time lost from work.
- Minimizes rescheduling of missed appointments due to bad weather or having patients travel during risky weather conditions.
The Clinical Telemedicine nurses are available to support the patients and their families before, during or after the appointment. The nurses assist the consultant or health care provider to complete protocols.
Your family physician or health care provider may fax a referral to the Clinical Telemedicine Program, if this is appropriate for you. When the consultation time is scheduled, one of our Clinical Telemedicine Nurses will contact you to confirm your appointment and help coordinate any tests or blood work prior to the appointment. You can find the Referral form in PDF for your health care provider here.
If you have any questions in regards to Clinical Telemedicine, feel free to contact us at:
Kingston Community Health Centres
Office: (613) 542-2949 ext. 1170 Fax: (613) 542-7657
Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org