Living Well Workshops (The Self-Management Program of Southeastern Ontario)
There are 3 different Living Well workshops offered at KCHC and at other health care organizations in the region:
- Living Well with Chronic Disease
- Living Well with Diabetes
- Living Well with Chronic Pain
These 6 week workshops provide people with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to better manage their chronic conditions. The workshop empowers people to take charge of their life, encouraging them to live healthier lives, and enables them to better manage the day-to-day tasks and challenges of living with chronic conditions. Participants meet for 2.5 hours once a week for 6 weeks to discuss topics such as:
- Strategies to break the cycle of symptoms such as fatigue, pain, stress and anxiety.
- Developing action plans, process for goal setting, and problem solving
- Appropriate use of medications
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
* more details about each workshop can be found on our website- www.livingwellseontario.ca
Workshop participants report improvement in their lifestyle and general health, as well as improved symptom management and better communication with their doctors. They also spend less time in the hospital compared to those who have not taken the workshop.
There are also opportunities be trained as a Peer Leader in order to facilitate the workshops. The workshops are led by two trained instructors who are often volunteers living with chronic conditions themselves. We encourage people living with chronic conditions themselves to get involved in the program.
For more information about upcoming workshops or facilitator training please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 613-542-2949 x1179, or you can visit our website www.livingwellseontario.ca and Facebook Page www.facebook.com/LivingWellSouthEastOnt